Wednesday 30 December 2009

Henry David Thoreau and Maya Angelou

What Up Peeps!!!

So, my English teacher, Mrs. Murphy-Tick, has left my class with reading the book Walden, by Henry David Thoreau, and doing our author study. I chose my author study to be Maya Angelou. I had partied like a rock star all winter break, and now that I have school next week, it's time for me to get busy! It's hard to get back to work after a long vacation-I'm not gonna lie! That's why I'm getting to work on reading and studying now so that way I can get back into that mode again.

As I'm reading Walden, I'm starting to get to know Henry David Thoreau a lot better. I'm starting to understand where he's coming from. As of right now, I'm on chapter 4-Sounds. His theories are very profound and easily believable because he gives soo many examples to his cause. Because I'm soo gullible, I am hanging on to every word he is saying. He brings forth beautiful imagery which coincides with his diction. It's like I'm actually there with him-which helps me understand the text even more! His theories not only bring out facts, but, it's also starting to make me question our society and how we are living! If he was alive today, he'd be very disappointed! His theory is, "Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!" He teaches us how to not be soo materialistic and to live in the moment! I know for sure that I don't live in the moment! I'm always thinking about tomorrow, or next week, or even next year! It's hard to live by Thoreau's theories-which is sad, to say the least! If he heard all of these things that we do today, like plastic surgery, or working 24/7, he would just die with disgust! I'm completely on his side with this one! It's just ridiculous!!

On a different note, I'm getting to know another person also! Maya Angelou! She is my complete inspiration on writing poems! She is absolutely amazing! Right now, I'm reading her book, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I'm only on the 2nd chapter and I can say that it's getting good! Her words are soo fluid and vivid....it's just perfect! And her imagery is to die for! The way how she describes the morning air at the Store, for example, is like you're actually there! And she spices it up with her diction-which makes an ordinary place or object twice as better than it actually is! I've read a little bit about her life-which is I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings because it's an autobiography. And I think that she is a strong and brave woman. Going through soo many hardships like she did can break anyone down! I won't tell you too much details because I want you to see for yourself! She is an amazing writer/poet! And I'm glad she is my inspiration!

So, that's it on what's going on in school-work wise. Oh Peeps! There's soo much more stuff that I have to tell you-I've just been soo busy lately! I know! It's the same excuse everybody has been using now-a-days! But, I'm serious: what with all of school and all....there's hardly any downtime anymore. And if there was any, it's sleep! And I know all of you can relate with me on that subject! Well Peeps, I gotta go! I'll talk to you guys later!

*Remember*~It is sometimes better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

Your "Getting To Know Great Authors" Friend,
Saidah Kamaria Wilson, A.K.A Mrs. Lautner/Maslow/Samberg
(Pst-The highlighted last name is Andy Samberg! and I like him the most out of the 3! I really like him a lot! Those of you who know me well, know that he's all I ever talk about! He's my main crush!)

1 comment:

Hanifa Imani said...

Hey swirlz.. well otha than chirag i like how u write about the person u love and the person that inspirez u. Go to my blog website and ull c a link as follow me and i want u to b ur first follower. Everybody else check out her and my blog cause their both dizzle sweet. K sis :^)