Tuesday 16 June 2009

I Have A Dream

What Up Peeps!!!

POEM BACKGROUND: This poem was actually written by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It is really a speech that he had made in 1963 at the Civil Rights march in Washington D.C. This is a very popular speech that I'm pretty sure you guys have heard of in your lifetime!! I had chosen this speech to share with you because it is very inspiring and powerful in every way. I love this speech! It shows a lot of pride and dignity beyond belief. It goes to show that if you can dream it, and you believe it, you can achieve it!! So, here is the speech/poem "I Have A Dream"!! Enjoy!!!
3333333333333333333333333333333333333333
I Have A Dream
I say to you today, my friends...
I still have a dream. It is a dream
deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will
rise up
and live out the true meaning of its creed.
We hold these truths to be self-evident
that all men are created equal.
I have a dream
that one day on the red hills of Georgia
the sons of former slaves and the sons
of former slave-owners will be able
to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream
that one day, even the state of Mississippi,
a state sweltering with the heat of injustice,
sweltering with the heat of oppression,
will be transformed into an oasis
of freedom and justice.
I have a dream
that my four little children will one day
live in a nation where they will not
be judged by the color of their skin
but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today!

I have a dream
that one day down in Alabama, with
its vicious
racists, with its governor having his lips
dripping with the words of interposition
and mullification, one day, right here in Alabama
little black boys and black girls will be able
to join hands with little white boys
and white girls as sisters and brothers.
I have a dream today!

I have a dream...
This is our hope.
This is the faith that I go
back to the South with...

Let freedom ring...!
Allow freedom to ring...!
from every mountainside...!
from every peak...
from every village and every hamlet...
we will be able to join and sing...
"Free at last, free at last;
thank God Almighty, we are free at last."


Spoken By: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Speech made at Civil Rights march
on Washington, D.C., 1963
Selected By: Saidah Wilson
3333333333333333333333333333333333333333
So, what did you think of this speech?! Pretty powerful, huh?! I think Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech did come true! Though there is still a linger of racism in this world, I have realized that this world has progressed since 1963. I mean, really! We now have a Muslim African-American President-the first African-American president EVER!! (Which is Barrack Obama!!!) I've seen people put their differences aside and joined hands to progress on. I truly do love this speech. It goes to show that with time comes improvement!

If you have a speech that you want to share and you want it on my blog, here's my email to contact me about it:
greenorangesinger7@gmail.com
Or, if you go to my school, North Canyon High School, you know that you can talk to me anytime!! Well, Peeps, I better go!! I'll talk to you guys later!!

*Remember*~The great aim of education is not knowledge but action.

Your "Proud" Friend,
Saidah Kamaria Wilson, A.K.A Latika

No comments: